Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Friends Sucks
ArtVandelay
post Sep 4 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #1

Admin Here

Group: Members
Member No.: 174

I was having a difficult time convincing my friend that Friends flat out sucks as a TV show, because I haven't seen it in so long. Feel free to dedicate this thread to lucid, thoughtful, interesting, objective reasons as to why Friends blows. I'm curious as to how many real reasons we can come up with, that would to a decent job persuading a Friends fan that it sucks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
EggSaladWithAHin...
post Sep 4 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #2

Admin Here

Member No.: 563

If he has TBS On Demand, tell him to watch the Kids segment. It literally shows the Seinfeld ugly baby and Friends' ripoff of it side by side.

+Quote Post
ArtVandelay
post Sep 5 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #3

Admin Here

1) Unoriginality. Friends is a Seinfeld ripoff.

More reasons?

+Quote Post
Hipster Dufus
post Sep 6 2006, 01:49 AM
Post #4

Admin Here

Member No.: 459

Like you, I haven't seen so many... mostly because it sucks. From what I've seen, the comedy is not about situations but about making smart ass comments. Like those supposedly funny lines in Hollywood blockbusters. That's actually what Seinfeld turned into in the 2 last (weak) seasons. It's all about rhythm and delivery, not about building up a funny situation. Seinfeld used to be a perfect combination of the situational comedy AND the good lines, probably the perfect chemistry of Jerry and Larry. Watching CYE there is no doubt what Larry's expertise is...

+Quote Post
Seven
post Sep 6 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #5

Admin Here

Member No.: 835

The soap opera storylines.
See, I used to be a big fan of Friends (Unfortunately in India, it's the most popular American sitcom and lots of friends recommended it to me). So I started watching and got hooked because of Chandler. But even when I loved the show, I found the drama (if you can call it that) particularly annoying. I mean everyone was falling in love with everybody; they were basically saying that a guy and a girl could not be friends without falling in love. See I don't mind a bit of drama in my sitcom, but Friends was a frickin' soap opera (and a really, really bad one too). There were love triangles, corny dialogues and a whole lotta other mushy crap.
Later of course, I discovered Seinfeld and recognized Friends for the absolute garbage that it was.

I've been to hell and back. icon_redface.gif

+Quote Post
Seven
post Sep 6 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #6

Admin Here

I also agree with what Hipster_Dufus says. I mean, you could read an episode synopsis for Seinfeld and start chuckling then & there. But for Friends, an average episode synopsis would read something like "Ross comes real close to confessing his love for Rachel but then backs off" and all the attempted humour would come from sarcastic throwaway comments made by one of the others.

+Quote Post
H.E. Pennypacker
post Sep 6 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #7

Admin Here

Member No.: 68

Reliance on big stars to bring in audiences is another reason this show sucks. Seinfeld did that too, but not nearly as much.

+Quote Post
ArtVandelay
post Sep 6 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #8

Admin Here

QUOTE(H.E. Pennypacker)
Reliance on big stars to bring in audiences is another reason this show sucks.    Seinfeld did that too, but not nearly as much.

As in guest stars?

+Quote Post
H.E. Pennypacker
post Sep 6 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #9

Admin Here

QUOTE(ArtVandelay)
QUOTE(H.E. Pennypacker)
Reliance on big stars to bring in audiences is another reason this show sucks.    Seinfeld did that too, but not nearly as much.

As in guest stars?

"Guest" stars would imply the stars had few appearances. Certain stars like Tom Selleck became quite regular for a while. So did others. It's not like Bette Midler or Paul O'Neil who made small appearnces for one episode. Friends consistently relied on big names, Van Damme, Bruce Willis, etc. to bring in the audience.

+Quote Post
cosmo_kramer
post Sep 6 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #10

Admin Here

Member No.: 186

This kind of reminds me of The Simpsons. In the good years, guest stars would come on portraying a totally different character most of the time. Now, they come on to play themselves so FOX can advertise the shit out of it.

--------------------
Back from the dead! Arrested Development (2003-2006, 2013-)

+Quote Post
ArtVandelay
post Sep 6 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #11

Admin Here

QUOTE(H.E. Pennypacker)
QUOTE(ArtVandelay)
QUOTE(H.E. Pennypacker)

As in guest stars?

"Guest" stars would imply the stars had few appearances. Certain stars like Tom Selleck became quite regular for a while. So did others. It's not like Bette Midler or Paul O'Neil who made small appearnces for one episode. Friends consistently relied on big names, Van Damme, Bruce Willis, etc. to bring in the audience.

I had no idea about this. Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis and Van Damme were regulars on Friends?

+Quote Post
H.E. Pennypacker
post Sep 6 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #12

Admin Here

QUOTE(ArtVandelay)
QUOTE(H.E. Pennypacker)
QUOTE(ArtVandelay)
QUOTE(H.E. Pennypacker)

As in guest stars?

I had no idea about this. Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis and Van Damme were regulars on Friends?

Selleck appeared in several episodes as one of the boyfriends. According to IMDB Bruce Willis appeared in three episodes. You can let the Van Damme appearance slide because he was only in one.

+Quote Post
Seven
post Sep 7 2006, 07:31 AM
Post #13

Admin Here

Brad Pitt came in one episode. He was supposed to hate Jennifer Aniston's character. I mean, c'mon, how transparent and blatant an attempt is that to leech off some of the couple's popularity? Bruce Willis's appearance was also an attempt to garner some hype, so was Van Damme's (considering how he played himself). But Selleck actually had a meaningful role, it wasn't just a one-off guest appearance like Van Damme's. His was an important character for some of the early seasons.

+Quote Post
Seven
post Sep 7 2006, 07:39 AM
Post #14

Admin Here

One more: the studio audience
The only show that I've seen with a worse laughter track is Full House. I mean, these guys would howl with laughter at about the dumbest slapstick. They would cheer or sigh at scenes so cheesy that they would make me cringe. I mean, that was just really annoying.

+Quote Post
ArtVandelay
post Sep 7 2006, 08:05 AM
Post #15

Admin Here

QUOTE(Seven)
One more: the studio audience
The only show that I've seen with a worse laughter track is Full House. I mean, these guys would howl with laughter at about the dumbest slapstick. They would cheer or sigh at scenes so cheesy that they would make me cringe. I mean, that was just really annoying.

Great reason-- good point.

+Quote Post
ArtVandelay
post Sep 7 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #16

Admin Here

QUOTE(Hipster Dufus)
Like you, I haven't seen so many... mostly because it sucks. From what I've seen, the comedy is not about situations but about making smart ass comments. Like those supposedly funny lines in Hollywood blockbusters. That's actually what Seinfeld turned into in the 2 last (weak) seasons. It's all about rhythm and delivery, not about building up a funny situation. Seinfeld used to be a perfect combination of the situational comedy AND the good lines, probably the perfect chemistry of Jerry and Larry. Watching CYE there is no doubt what Larry's expertise is...

I agree to an extent-- the last 2 seasons of Seinfeld definitely had more "one liners" and smart ass comments, but compared to Friends, even the last two seasons of Seinfeld had comedic plots as well, that certainly were never soap opera-ey, which can't be said about Friends.

+Quote Post
Hipster Dufus
post Sep 7 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #17

Admin Here

Member No.: 459

Don't get me wrong: I've still seen all season 8 and 9 episodes (at least) 10 times. Althoug on the rare occasion that I still watch an episode, it's not one from these seasons, they're still way over most of the junk that's on tv.
And certainly they wisely stayed away from soap opera.

Reading Seven's comment I was thinking how cool it would be if a geek out there would remove the laughter tracks on the episodes. Berla, couldn't you tell your glitteratti Sony contacts how wished that feature is? I'm surely not the only one. It's probably not too late for the season 8 and 9 dvds.

+Quote Post
Brock
post Sep 7 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #18

Admin Here

Member No.: 1,166

i don't see what's wrong about the later seasons. They're still great. I'm a bign fan of LArry David and I think it sucks that he left, but when I was little it was the final two seasons of seinfeld that I fell in love with.

--------------------
www.brockcomics.com

+Quote Post
ArtVandelay
post Sep 7 2006, 05:05 PM
Post #19

Admin Here

Let's get this discussion back to Friends.

Friends sucks because_______________________:

+Quote Post
AstralCar
post Nov 25 2006, 05:43 AM
Post #20

Admin Here

Member No.: 23

The #1 reason why Friends sucks is because of the whole Rachel & Ross thing. If the creators wanted to emphasise the relationship between them that's fine, but can you remember an episode when they're together & actually enjoying themselves as a couple? No. It always takes ages until they can tell each other what they feel & even then they're just fighting. Here's a novel idea: make them a happy couple. How hard is that?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 09:53 AM